top of page

History

The Birchfield Orchestra was founded in the 1920's as a symphony orchestra. It was disbanded during World War II, but later reformed and won competitive festivals in both Birmingham and Cheltenham. They then went on to represent the City of Birmingham in amateur orchestral competitions which took place during the Festival of Britain in London in 1951.
 
It is not known when the orchestra became a String Orchestra, but since then it acquired its own library of over 150 sets of parts, some of which have been gifts by members of the orchestra.
For a number of years the orchestra was run by the Birmingham Adult Education Service. This ended in July 2010, but the existing members decided to continue by running the orchestra themselves.  The orchestra now rehearse in the Sutton Coldfield Methodist Church Hall on South Parade.
In 2012 the orchestra was very pleased to receive funding from the Sutton Municipal Charities.
 
We are keen to know more about the history of the orchestra. If you can add to these details please let us know. 

 

bottom of page